GUIDELINES FOR PASSPORT APPLICANTS
ATTENTION!!!APPLICANTS, GUARANTORS AND WITNESSES ARE TO NOTE THAT THE MAKING OF A FALSE STATEMENT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROCURING A PASSPORT IS AN OFFENCE UNDER SECTION 15 OF THE PASSPORT AND TRAVEL CERTIFICATE DECREE (NLCD 155, 1967) OF THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA.
WHERE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO PROSECUTE SUCH PERSONS IN A CRIMINAL COURT BECAUSE THEY LIVE OUTSIDE GHANA, SUCH PERSONS SHALL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM HOLDING OR ACQUIRING A GHANA PASSPORT, AND ANY PASSPORT ALREADY ISSUED TO THEM SHALL BE WITHDRAWN AND CONFISCATED. THEY MAY ALSO BE ARRESTED AND DEALT WITH UNDER GHANA LAW ANYTIME THEY ENTER GHANA.
An applicant for a passport must duly complete a passport application form and return it with the following documents:
- Four recent (not more than six months) passport size photographs .
- Birth certificate (if it is a fresh application for a passport) or expired / current passport
- Copies of their resident permit
Applicants for a new passport should also note the following:
- All supporting documents must be submitted in original as well as photocopies of the original documents, the latter will be returned to the applicants.
- An application for a passport renewal may be submitted six (6) months to the date of expiry. An application for a new passport may also be submitted when the pages of current passport are all endorsed with visas/stamps.
- Adult applicants applying for a passport for the first time (that is adults applicants applying with a birth certificate only) must submit copies of their Ghana national identification card, for example, voter’s identification card, national health insurance card, Ghana driver’s license or Ghana national identification card. Applicants who are without these documents would be registered by the Embassy at a fee.
- An application for a new passport for a child born in Italy, must be supported by a birth certificate and photocopies of parents' documents, including their passport and resident permit.
- All applicants above the age of fourteen (14) must submit their passport applications in person to allow the capture of their thumb prints.
An application for a new passport to replace a missing passport/lost passport shall be accompanied by a police report (with the number for the missing passport quoted in the report) in addition to the other usual requirements for the issue of a passport, including the birth certificate of the applicant and/or the biodata page of the missing passport.
An application for a new passport to replace a damaged passport shall be accompanied by the damaged passport in addition to the other usual requirements for the issue of a passport.
PASSPORT FOR CHILDREN
It is against the laws of both Ghana and Italy to travel to Italy on another person's Ghanaian or other citizen's passport.
COLLECTION OF ISSUED PASSPORTS
Newly issued passports may be collected personally by the applicants. The applicant will be required to fill in and sign the appropriate column of the passport collection book, and also append his signature in the passport in the presence of a staff of the Consular section before the passport will be released to the applicant. Applicants may also arrange for their passports to be collected by courier. In such cases, applicants are required to send, via email, copies of their receipts and the airway bill for the courier company beforehand.
Please allow at least between 2-3 weeks for the processing of your passport application.
All applications, except children under the age of fourteen (14), must be presented personally by the applicants. Please note that applicants may be interviewed. Consequently, applications for passports made through agents or through the post will not be accepted.
Passport application forms can be obtained from the Embassy or downloaded from the Mission’s website. The form must be fully complete in CAPITAL LETTER and in ENGLISH and presented to the Consular section of the Embassy on MONDAYS to THURSDAYS from 08:30am – 3:30pm.